Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Remembering Esther

The first time I met Esther, Jeff and I were engaged. We met up with her at Bridal Veil Falls and she took my arm and wrapped it around hers, and said "So, You are going to marry my Jeff..." It was not a question. It was a statement.

I was so impressed with her immediately. She was so sweet and kind and strong.

She was always kind. And always interesting. It was hard to be closer to her because she lived a few states away. But she made little efforts to stay connected. I have a cassette tape of her singing primary songs for Clint when he was a toddler. I remember her unrolling her posters of mind maps whenever we made it up to Oregon to visit. I remember thinking that they were actually pretty cool.

She remembered birthdays, and lots of other things too. I admired her for phone call termination techniques, and also her stamina and Independence.

When Jeff and I first bought our house, I was feeling overwhelmed with the mess of the remodel and the plans for Clint's birthday, and I think one of my nieces was having a crisis...I was in the kitchen and immobilized by the mess. She came in and while I made phone calls and dealt with other problems, she quietly cleaned the entire kitchen...and I was grateful.

She really knew how to get things done. And I am so thankful to be a part of her family. I am grateful for her example and for the life that she led. I am grateful for the family she raised. And I know she is busy now...working hard, more than ever...with Russel at her side.

We Love you Esther!

0 comments: